Emissions Reduction Alberta (ERA) is an independent, not-for-profit organization based in Alberta. ERA was created in 2009 to help deliver on the province’s environmental and economic goals. ERA invests the proceeds from carbon pricing paid by large industrial emitters to reduce GHGs and strengthen the competitiveness of new and incumbent industries in Alberta. Our investments help innovators develop and demonstrate GHG-reducing technologies. These technologies will lower costs, improve competitiveness, and accelerate Alberta’s transformation to a low carbon economy.
ERA is supported by an external Cloud Finance team that executes the back-office finance function and provides all required reporting for monthly, quarterly, and annual financial close. With oversight from the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the Finance Manager will be responsible for managing the day-to-day accounting function of the organization including review of transactions and reporting prepared by the Cloud Finance team, oversight for the annual external audit, and preparation of the annual audited financial statements. In addition, the Finance Manager will provide support to the CFO across various operational elements including cash management analysis and liaison with ERA’s financial institutions, reconciling cashflow and project commitments for ERA’s project portfolio, liaise and support the preparation of financial risk assessments by ERA’s external service provider for use in the project selection process, and support ERA’s data and performance management tools.
The Finance Manager will have a key role in managing all aspects of financial reporting and being the first point of escalation for any finance related issues. Working closely with the CFO, ERA staff and the Cloud Finance team, the position will require strong project and budget management skills, an understanding and ability to monitor, evaluate, and report on operational metrics, and strong financial reporting knowledge.
The successful candidate will have exceptional verbal and written communication skills, a collaborative working style, and have experience leading a team of finance professionals. To be effective in this role, the candidate must have excellent proficiency with all Office 365 products and tools, ability to work independently, and be committed to operational excellence including an attitude of continuous improvement.
• Review month end reports for accuracy and submit to CFO for final review and approval.
• Review quarter end reports and submit to CFO for final review and approval.
• Prepare quarterly board reporting package for review by CFO.
• Facilitate the annual external audit and preparation of the external audited financial statements for inclusion in the Annual Report.
• Facilitate the request for updated forecasts from vendors on a quarterly basis and submit to CFO for review.
• Hold regular meetings with Cloud Finance team and escalate issues to CFO as required.
Annual Budget Preparation:
• Draft briefing notes for the CFO/CEO with key assumptions to enable the preparation of the annual budget by the Cloud Finance team.
• Detailed review of the annual budget and prepare briefing note for the Board of Directors to facilitate approval of the three-year budget for inclusion in the Business Plan.
• Review invoices and support process for executive approvals and payment.
• Liaising with vendors and proponents for payment processing. Review EFT payment packages from Cloud Finance for accuracy and submit to CFO for final review.
• Facilitate online payment banking approvals with executive and board members.
• Communicate payroll changes to Cloud Finance payroll department.
• Review Board Honorarium and expense calculations for payment and submit to CFO for final review.
• Review T4, T4A, T4A NR, NR slip preparation.
• Review T2 and submit to CFO for final review.
• Send NR Declaration forms to non-Canadian payees.
• Review quarterly GST34 and 284 submissions to CRA. Recommend to CFO.
• Analysis of cash and investment management with ERA’s financial institutions.
• Review of cashflow and project commitment reconciliations for ERA’s project portfolio.
• Liaise and support the preparation of financial risk assessments by ERA’s external service provider for use in the project selection process.
• Support the maintenance and enhancement of ERA’s data collection and performance management tools.
• CPA Designation
• Minimum 5 years of related experience is required.
To apply, please send along your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. While we appreciate all applications, please be aware that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.